Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Second Week

And so without due we come to the end of the second week; one of challenges, difficulties and growing opportunities. I am reminded of my days in Student Government at Grays Harbor College where we had such a diverse set of minds that it was a daily challenge to look upon things in a positive manner. Unfortunately we cannot always please everyone.

The Irish Language continues to perplex me and I have taken to listening to the recordings I have made, of the classes, in efforts to better get a grip on it. However, it still gets me frazzled so I must rely on determination and repetition. At the very least I have them to keep practicing on at home so that the next trip over I can at least have a basic understanding and be able to communicate.

The bodhran classes continue to teach me more techniques in playing the Irish drum and I am enjoying it deeply. Nothing touches my soul, other than Jill's love, like that of the beating rhythm of the drum. I only hope that the Russians have a similar native drum I can learn and add a third variety to my table.

If there is anything I am thankful for, other than being here with my wife on our 11th Anniversary, is that of the stories I am able to gather. It has become my goal throughout the many programs I plan on attending to gather such stories from all over the world in the respective places I have studied. For some reason it is what interests me the most, perhaps because if we forget those stories or people of the past we are indeed headed for cultural extinction.

I have had several conversations with academics, laypeople and travelers about the core elements of a culture and what is needed for it to survive. In this I have heard many say that language is perhaps the first element, and most vital, in order for a culture to survive the changing times. Language could be divided into it's origins, place names and structure.

There it moves into two directions - Music and Stories. From music you get songs, instruments and techniques. From Stories you get poetry, short stories/fables and non-fiction or biographies. Three aspects of each of the three main groups which contribute to the core of a culture, in my humble opinion.

I cannot wait to see what comes in the next few weeks, or the next year.

No comments: