Thursday, April 8, 2010

Our Arrival

As we walked off the plane in the Dublin terminal I immediately felt the Old World presence. We navigated our way through customs and were questioned about how long we would be here and whether or not we had enough money to stay that long. However, the gentleman at the customs check point was kind and a gentleman.

Instead of going to bed, being all excited and amped from the long flight, we strolled through Stephen's Green, visited Trinity College gazing upon the Book of Kells and sat down for a nice hot bowl of soup and brown bread. It was a very wonderful first day.

As we walked around we saw the Post Office where the 1916 Easter Uprising, the bullet holes from the British troops still mark the walls, and I am reminded of ohow very fragile our societies still are.

The Night Life of Dublin is filled with conversations and music, the pubs all watching Football (Soccer in America) and no one seems to be in a foul mood. I even met a gentleman by the name of James who described to me the head, the foam on the top of a stout or beer, was also referred to as the "Bishop's Hat" and that I should tell the bartender to top it off.

James was someone who I had an interest very much in, as it seemed he had been around. He hails from Scotland and is a man of deep insight and an easy going attitude. I think I may seek him out again today and get a more detailed conversation going on, hopefully he has some interesting stories to tell.

It was a long day filled with emotion and contemplation. From a dream of seeing the Book of Kells to seeing new and interesting people I had a fill that only going abroad could provide. I am still beside myself and am ever so grateful that I got this opportunity.

No comments: