Sunday, March 7, 2010

Anticipating the Trip

So I am heading into the last week, number ten, of the Winter Quarter of the Ireland program and I am suddenly filled with feelings of apprehension and uncertainty. I am excited, like I have never been, for this and am trying to make every possible plan I can for while we are away. It is a nerve wrecking experience.

I wanted to start this journal early to kind of give myself a way to put into words and form what I am thinking before I take the trip of my life. I have wanted to visit Ireland since the days when I first stumbled across the Celts in a book by D.J.Conway called Celtic Magic. It has been many years since I opened that book I bought so long ago, the crease is now falling apart and the pages are loosening, and I have learned and grown since those bygone days. They almost seem like distant dreams I once had.

Which is sort of strange to me. I had always thought things would stay the same, not sure why, and would just always be. I was so young those days that it all seemed mystical and wondrous and dangerous. We read lots of books about the Celts and their pagan system of beliefs, which would lead me towards my current path. One could almost say that it was "destined" to happen.

But that destiny would take many twists and shapes before manifesting into the reality it is now. I have worked my ass off over the last four years - Student Government, Phi Theta Kappa - and many hours writing, scripting, acting and growing. I had to change my attitude in order to do all this, a negative one would not have been very conducive to my goals, and I had to open my mind and be open to all situations. I had to step outside my comfort zone and trust.

Not only have I done this but my wife of ten years has joined me on this journey. She seeks to fill her knowledge with Folklore, Music and Art as I embark upon the path of discovery in different cultures. She has equally been involved and reached higher plateaus by being open to her experiences. Together we are learning about the ancient world and how our myths and spiritual systems came about. That very question, which resided in both of us, is more or less what drew us together, besides her awesome cookies!

Now, as we near our 11th year of marriage, we get to go live among the Irish in Ireland, the County Donegal, in Gleanncolmcille with about 90 residents. The class size is 28 and one professor so it should be a great time and awesome learning experience. I really cannot wait to see what transpires.

Well that is all for this day, tomorrow I'll talk about why I named the blog what I did.

Slán!